1 Corinthians 13
“In sickness and in health, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, ‘till death do us part”. These are the words married people vowed to each other in the matrimony of their marriage. For me, it does not matter whether you’re married or not, what matters most is you will love and stand beside each other until the end, no matter what. I have seen couples who have been married for years, but treat each others like they’re strangers, just staying together for the sake of being married and the kids, even if they do not love each other anymore; and I have seen couples who are not married but had showed me what married couples should be. Marriage certificates for me, are just papers that our society implemented for legal purposes. What matters most is the promises that the couple made between each other and will do everything in keeping them.
In an excerpt in the chapter, the idea of being temporary married was written and discussed, just reading the title of the essay made me draw a big frown on my face, the idea of it sounded like signing a “contract” and whoever thought of it must now know what love truly means. I would rather stay single than signing a contract with someone just to be temporarily married, that is, if you call that marriage in the first place. Life is not about convenience. Love is more profound than just signing a contract and then leave when you’re done.
Although I stated that it doesn’t matter in a relationship if you’re married or not, I still believe that monogamy in a relationship is important. It is a sign of mutual respect for each other. I do not conform on the fact that humans are being compared to other lower form of mammals like the Prairie voles in terms of being faithful in a relationship. Yes, we may be created similarly to them in some ways but the big difference is, we have conscience that knows the difference between right and wrong. Like what Confucius said, “Do not do unto others, what you don’t want others do unto you.” Golden Rule.
Marriage in America has declined compared eons ago. Social media has played a big influence on this, television shows, the Hollywood. I am sure that almost all of you have heard about the Kardashians, Britney Spears and so forth. This does not need to be elaborated, I’m sure that everyone knows where I’m pointing at. Celebrities, not all, but some, has a big influence on how marriages in America is now. I also think that being monogamous in a relationship has been tougher, because there has been many ways that infidelity can occur like social networking, texting and other methods. Temptations are always around, it’s like survival of the fittest. I know this, because personally I’m in a long distance relationship, and I know how easy it would take to break or make this kind of relationship. Compared before, most couples nowadays also has their own careers, and tend to neglect to nurture the relationship, however, it is always your own choice and actions that will matter, if you love a person truly, no matter how tough the situation gets, your love for each other will always be the answer.
I always enjoy seeing pictures of old couple, I’m amazed on how they stayed with each other throughout the years. As my favorite saying goes, a successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person. For me this reflects my point of view on what married life is going to be. For sure there will be hard times, and in those times, you will question yourself, why of all people, he’s the one you chose? In this times, you will have to ask yourself, what made you chose him, what are the qualities that made you fall in love with him? If there’s ninety-nine reasons why you can’t stand him anymore, think about the one main reason why you chose him, and hopefully this reason is enough for you to stay.
Disney Movie "UP"

Hi,
ReplyDeleteWow! Reading your blog is always one of my favorites. You always put a lot of effort and heart in your writings. This time, you have added pictures, I really like that!
I really like your picture! Your blog is full of real ideas and honesty.
ReplyDelete