My biological father left for Japan when I was four months old. Due to personal problems in between him and my mother the relationship did not work and they decided to separate. Growing up, I will always hear people call me “Little Peter.” Whenever people see me, they will tell me I look just like my father. I used to get annoyed when they call me little peter but at the same time I’m curious on how people see our resemblance. My mom said I copied almost everything from my dad, my favorite food, my choice of hobbies, the way I speak, the way I act, my choice of music, my talents and so on. When I was younger I feel like my mom probably hates me because I will be a constant reminder of her failed relationship with him. I did not feel the void or the “awkwardness” of our situation because I have good support coming from my extended families. My aunts, uncles and specially my grandparents tried to fill in the missing pieces which I am very grateful for. My biological father communicated with us here and there and he did not remarry. I feel sad for the life he chose but that’s life. I just pray to God that in old age, someone will take care of him wherever he might be and I’m still hopeful that he will find someone as his companion. The last time I heard he went back home to their ancestral home in the Philippines after twenty four years (my age).
My mother was a single parent for awhile but eventually she remarried when I was six years old. I remember first time seeing my soon to be step dad in his blue lacoste polo shirt and jeans, specially his mustache. I remember how those mustache felt when he tried to kiss me on my cheeks, I didn’t like it but at the same time I felt excited that I am going to have a father. I did not have problem adjusting to the new situation because my step dad treated me and my older sister like his own. The only thing I did not like at first is how the rules at home change. Certain rules that a father will implicate for the safety of her daughters but eventually I abide to it because I understand that its for my safety. What I remember the most and treasures a lot was when he drops us off to school in his brand new jeep. I remember feeling very proud of him specially when my classmates starts to stare and I’m like “HEY EVERYONE! THIS IS MY DADDY.”
I feel very blessed to have a person like him in my life. He taught me what unconditional love is. Now that I am older, I appreciate him more because he continues to show, that my sister and I are not different from our other siblings. He gives us the same support and affections he gives to his biological children. I do not feel the difference of our family to those who have a “normal” one. Now, I have a total of five siblings and together we are one big happy family.


Hi,
ReplyDeleteI was reading with interest that you described you imitated your dads behavior but he was far away. Did you inherit the behavior or did you see him and just naturally tried to be like him?
I didn't see my biological father in person. I just inherited his traits and personality I guess! I don't even see how people tell me that I act like him or have the same favorites because as I said I haven't met him in person, only in pictures. :)
DeleteWow you have a very large family. It is hard at times to have separated parents, but in the end it always proves to be for the best.
ReplyDeleteEven though your parents are separated, they'll always be your parents. I really like how your family said you resemble your father, especially when he lived elsewhere. Glad to hear that your mother remarried and you have a stepfather, with additional siblings.
ReplyDeleteIt's good that you still have a support system no matter what. That is one thing that will keep you going in life. I'm happy for you that you are happy in your family, you deserve it.
ReplyDeleteFamily means a lot to everyone, whether it is parents or aunts and uncles. In many cases family is not those who are related to you by blood but by love.
ReplyDelete